Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Home Sweet ... HOMING PIGEON??



Oh dear, my kids have fallen in love with a homing pigeon, also called racing pigeons I hear, that has taken up residence in our back yard!

Yesterday TJ called me at work, and excitedly told me that there was a "huge" bird with "orange and green tags" in our back yard that must be someone's pet! I was picturing more of a parrot until Drew got on the phone and said our neighbor had confirmed it was a homing pigeon. They watched it, took pictures of it, Googled for info about it, named it "Gilbert" and just had a blast. I got home and it was nowhere to be seen.

Fast forward to about the same time of day today ... and Gilbert reappeared! More pictures, tonight it let us pick it up, and we were able to get the numbers off the band to try and figure out where it came from. The band ID ties to a pigeon association club in Decatur ... so I have emailed the contact and we shall see what happens. Hopefully Gilbert will make another appearance tomorrow if we find the owner and they are anxious to get their bird back! Stay tuned ...

No comments: